Where do you consume most of your TV nowadays? Most likely your answer is through a streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, HBO Max, YouTube TV, Apple TV, Peacock, Sling TV, Pluto TV, Crackle, Documentary+, Discovery+, PBS or PBS Kids, Stirr, Plex, IMDB TV – well, you get the picture, and you’re not alone.
- 81% of U.S. households will be Connected TV households by 2021. That is a total of 105.3MM households (eMarketer, 2020).
- More than 164 million U.S. internet users access video content via connected TV devices, and this number is predicted to grow by up to 204.1 million viewers in 2022.
- Plus the number of Smart TV’s and OTT (over-the-top) devices in households exceeded 1 billion in 2019. In the U.S. alone, more than 50% of the population has a TV-connected device in their home.
What you may not realize is that you can advertise your business on these platforms to reach users just like you and your target audience, expanding your reach further than most other ad platforms can and to highly-engaged users.
What is Connected TV advertising?
Connected TV (CTV) – also referred to as over-the-top (OTT) – refers to any internet-connected device that can access video streaming content. Because it’s connected to the internet and users typically have to use their Facebook or Google account to sign on with ease, it makes for a great advertising platform.
Any ad that you see while streaming your favorite show would be classified as Connected TV advertising. It’s not device specific, either. CTV ads reach users on their XBOX live, mobile phones, Roku, Fire stick, smart TV, and more – where users are tuning in are where your ads can display.
What are the advantages of using CTV in your digital advertising plan?
As with traditional TV, CTV advertising is an effective tactic to deploy in awareness-based campaigns and requires businesses to develop high-resolution creative that is both memorable and unique.
With Connected TV ads, you can:
- Reach highly-engaged audiences.
- Utilize enhanced targeting options and inventory selection
- Access your ad performance metrics in real-time
Similar to video advertising campaigns and audio advertising campaigns, you cannot rely on using clicks, click-through rates, or post-click conversions are your performance measurement metrics. Instead, you will gauge performance and engagement with view-through conversions such as video completion rate and cost-per-view.
How Back40 Can Help
Identifying the best channel for your digital advertising campaign can be challenging. Once you’ve identified your channels, you have to develop the creative, buy the placements, submit the ads for approval, monitor and manage the daily ad budgets, optimize the creative and the targeting, and analyze the performance metrics to see what’s working (or what’s not). It can be a full time job.
Skip the hassle, and contact Back40. Our experts will help plan and execute a holistic, strategic digital marketing campaign that supports and grows your business goals. Contact us today to schedule your one-on-one consultation with our team.